النشر العلمي

  • Solvent effects on antioxidant activities and phenolic contents of the alhydwan (Boerhavia elegana choisy ) seed flour

 

The effects of using solvents with different polarities on the yields of extracting phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity
of novel food Alhydwan seed flour were investigated. The extraction solvents used include methanol, ethanol, acetone, diethyl
ether, ethyl acetate and hexane. Results showed the efficiencies of the solvents in the extraction of phenolic compounds and
antioxidant activities were in this order: methanolic extract < ethanolic extract < acetone extract < diethyl ether extract < ethyl
acetate extract < hexane extract. The phenolic content was 63.82–177.08 mg of gallic acid equivalents/g and the yield extract
ranged as low as 8.49–126.10%. The results have shown that the properties of extraction solvents significantly affected extraction
yield, total phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity of the Alhydwan seed extract. Furthermore, results showed
that the methanol extraction resulted in the highest yield (80%), higher phenolic compounds and better antioxidant activity
compared to the other solvents.

published in Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization

  • Prevalence of Intestinal and Urinary Schistosomaisis in Five Localities in Gezira State, Sudan

Abstract
Background: Schistosomiasis is a neglected parasitic disease caused by S. mansoni and S. haematobium in Sudan. It is causing a chronic inflammatory process affecting the intestine and urinary bladder leading to a serious and fatal complications. Mehods: A total of 690 participants from five localities in Gezira State in Sudan were enrolled between March and August, 2016 in this study. Data on socio-demographic and risk factors were obtained using structured questionnaires. Clean containers with corresponding labels were used for samples collection. After processing stool and urine sample were microscopically examined for the ova of S. mansoni and S. haematobium respectively. Results: From the 690 participants enrolled in this study 396(57.4%) were male and 294(42.6%) were female, aged between 5 – 55 years, with the mean age ±SD (17.3 ± 3.7). This study revealed that the prevalence of S. mansoni was 6.7% (46/690) and S. haematobium was 7.5% (46/690), and overall prevalence of Schistosomiasis in the five localities was 14.2%. S. haematobium (11,9%, 1.7% ) and S. mansoni (9.3%, 3.1% ) were infected males more than females respectively. Conclusion: There is still a high prevalence of schistosomiasis in the study area. Safe water supply, provision of sanitation facilities, health education and sustainable rounds of mass chemotherapeutic intervention with Praziquantel are highly recommended to reduce the prevalence of this disease..

published in International Journal of Medical Science and Health Research Vol. 2, No. 03; 2018 ISSN: 2581-3366

  • 1 prevention and control of Acute watery Diarrhea through innovative community mobilazaion campagn by students and staff of health faculties and BN institute UOG 2017

.

published in TUFH annual Meeting

  • Pathogenicity of Xanthomonas campestris pv. allii causing bacterial leaf blight of onion in sudan and antibacterial efficacy of plant extracts

Bacterial leaf blight of onion, caused by Xanthomonas campestris pv. allii, is a new disease of green bulb onion in Sudan. A study was conducted to test pathogenicity of the causative agent of onion bacterial leaf blight and evaluate the efficacy of certain plant extracts against the pathogen. Antibacterial activity of aqueous ethanolic plant extracts of desert rose (Adenium obesum), eucalyptus (Eucalyptus microtheca), button wood (Conocarpus erectus), tamarind (Tamarindus indica) and mesquite (Prosopis julifora), at different concentrations, was assayed in vitro by well diffusion technique. The bacterium X. campestris pv. allii was isolated from leaf lesions and its pathogenicity was confirmed on onion leaves. There were significant differences between the extracts in their effect on bacterial growth and the best results were obtained at a high concentration (420 ppm) of plant extracts. Among the test plant extracts, mesquite extract revealed a high anti-bacterial activity with inhibition zone up to 38.6 mm. It was followed by eucalyptus extract with inhibition zone of 38.3mm, button wood and tamarind with inhibition zone of 38 mm each. Desert rose extract displayed lower inhibition zone of 20.2 mm as dcompare to the standard control of stryptomicin having inhibition zone of 36 mm. Thus plant extracts of eucalyptus, mesquite, button wood, and tamarind were promising and may help in the non-toxic, eco-friendly management of onion bacterial leaf blight disease.

 

published in Agricultural Research Journal Year : 2017, Volume : 54, Issue : 4

© 2016 University Of Gezira. All rights reserved | Design by Informatics Administration