Name : Hasabelrasoul Fadlelmula Mustafa
Nationality : Sudanese
Mother tongue : Arabic
Second language : English
Marital status : Married and father of four daughters
Present Address : Department of Forests Management
Science, Faculty of Forest Sciences and
Technology, University of Gezira.
Cell phone: + 249 0121039433
What’s App: + 249 0969732161
Fax: + 249-511-828835
P.O. Box 20 Medani, Sudan
1. Academic Qualifications
1 PhD Forest Ecology, Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Helsinki, Finland, 1997.
2 MSc Forest Ecology, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Gezira, Sudan, 1983.
3 BSc (Hon.) Forestry, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 1979.
2. Present Job
Associate Professor to deliver lectures to undergraduates and postgraduates at the Faculty of Forest Sciences and Technology and the Department of Environmental Science and Natural Resources of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences of the University of Gezira and other allied departments at the universities in Sudan on the subjects:
1 Introduction to Forestry
2 Environment and Natural Resources
4 Forests Nursery Techniques
5 Natural Resources Management
6 Forests management systems
8. Forest Ecology
9. Advanced Ecology
10. Forest Dendrology
3.1 Academic staff member of the University of Gezira since
2001 and till now.
1 Director of the Department of Environment, 2001 – 2006.
2 Head Department of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 2007 – 2010.
3 Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, 2011.
4 Member of the Environment Council, 2001 – 2012.
5 Member of Administrative Council, 2001 – 2006.
6 Member of Students' Activities Committee, 2004 – 2006.
7 Member of University Campus Committee, 2001– 2006.
8 Member of Construction Committee, 2001 – 2006.
9 Member of Academic Staff Committee, 2007 – till now.
10 Member of University Housing Committee, 2011 – 2012.
11 Member of agricultural scientific committee, 2017 – till now.
12 Member of the council of the Faculty of Higher Studies, 2017– till now.
13 Member of Senate Scientific Committee, 2015 – till now. Proposed and designed the syllabus of both Forestry Sciences and Range Sciences Departments of the Faculty of Agriculture of the University of Bakht al-Ruda, Sudan.
14 Member of Senate, 2007 – till now.
15 Secretary of higher committee for proposing the syllabus of the Faculty of Forest Sciences and Technology of the University of Gezira, 2014 - 2016.
16 Member of the Committee for the international Scientific Relations of the University of Gezira.
17 Dean Faculty of Forest Sciences and Technology, 2015– till now.
1 Coordinator of the post studies programs at the Department of Environmental Science and Natural Resources 2003 - 2006.
2 Adviser of a group of undergraduates on academic affairs.
3 Member of Curriculum Revision Committee of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences.
4. Secretary of the Curriculum Committee of the Faculty of Forest Sciences and Technology.
5. Supervised the following postgraduate studies:–
· Effect of fire on the viability of seeds of Acacia seyal buried in the soil.
· Study on the soil seed bank of Acacia seyal in the clay plain of Sudan.
· Response of Acacia seyal seedlings to simulated grazing.
· Effect of sowing depth and pre-germination treatment on the regeneration of the seeds of Acacia seyal.
· Effect of leaf and litter extracts of Eucalyptus microtheca on the early growth of Medicago sativa.
· Impact of dry spells on survival and early growth of Hashab (Acacia senegal "L." Willd) seedlings.
· Assessment of soil seed bank and regeneration of Talh (Acacia seyal variety seyal Brenan) in the eastern clay plain of Sudan.
· A comparative study of water uptake at germination and early stage of seedlings from six provenances of Talh (Acacia seyal variety seyal Brenan) in Sudan clay plains.
· Monitoring of soil seed bank of Algarroba (Prosopis juliflora Swartz DC) in New Halfa Agricultural Corporation, Sudan.
· Allelopathic effects of some tree species on the regeneration of Prosopis juliflora (Swartz DC).
· Effect of leaf leachate of Prosopis juliflora (Swartz DC) and Acacia raddiana (Brenan) on the early growth of Sorghum sudanense.
· Spreading of Mesquite (Prosopis chilensis) in Northern Sudan.
· Ecological effects of Eucalyptus and Conocarpus plantations on forage crops (Sorghum spp.).
· Effect of goat digestive tract and sulphuric acid treatment on germination of three Acacia species seeds.
· Study on browsing in Acacia natural forests at Butana area of central Sudan.
· Assessment of the current range conditions of Abu Garad area in Butana, Sudan.
· Relationship between the gum arabic production and the rainfall in Obeid area, Sudan.
· Effect of fire intensity on survival and growth of the seedlings of Acacia seyal.
· Ecological Effects of Eucalyptus and Conocarppus plantations of forage crop (Sorghum spp.) growing underneath
· Estimation of Carbon Dioxide assimilated in shoot biomass of mature Talih [Acacia seyal (Del,) Brenan] and Ban [Eucalyptus microtheca (F.) Muel] trees , Gezira State, Sudan
· Assessment of natural regeneration of Acacia tortilis (Forsk.) Hayne in Abujalfa forest in Butana area. Gezira State, Sudan
· Impact of refugees on natural woodland in the White Nile State, Sudan (2008 – 2015)
· Survey and assessment of tree regeneration on southern frontier of siehaimab shelter belt, Grzira State, Sudan (1984 -02015)
· Allelopathic effect of aqueous extracts from soil underneath sunt [ Acacia nilotica (L.) willd] plantation on their seed germination
· Evaluation of the sustainability of community and agricultural improvements made by the international fund for agricultural development (IFAD) in eastern Gezira, Sudan
· Variation in azadirachtin, limnoid and oil in the seeds of Azadirachta indica collected from different ecozones in Sudan.
· Study on the variability of oil content and physiochemical properties in the seeds of Tabaldi (Adansonia digitata L.), Sidr (Ziziphus spina-christi L.), and Guddeim (Grewia tenax(Forsk) Fiori) in Great Kordufan, Sudan.
· Regeneration ecology of Heglig (Balanites aegyptiaca "L." Del) in the dry region West of the Blue Nile, Sudan.
3.2 Staff member of the Agricultural Research Corporation (ARC) from1979 to 2000:
3.2.1 Director (1998 – 2001) of the Forestry Research Center of the
Agricultural Research Corporation, Ministry of Agriculture, Sudan, to undertake the following responsibilities:
· Develop and formulate the forestry research policy in
· Mobilize and master the human, financial and physical
resources of the center to execute the approved research
· Coordinate the research programs at the national and regional levels.
· Represent Sudan in the international affairs on the forestry
· Develop the skill and capabilities of the workers in the
· Member of the Financial and Administrative Board of the
· Member of the Technical Committee of the ARC.
· Member of the Administrative Board of the Forests
National Corporation (FNC).
3.2.2 Researcher (1992 – 1997) at the Tropical Silviculture Unit of
the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry of the University of
Helsinki, Finland, to carry research on regeneration of Acacia
seyal forests on dryland of Sudan clay plain. The program was
concentrating on both natural and artificial regeneration as well
developing techniques to incorporate the local farmer in the
process of regeneration.
3.2.3 Silviculturist and Head of the Forestry Research Section of the Agricultural Research Corporation, Ministry of Agriculture, Sudan, (1984 – 1991) to undertake the following responsibilities:
· Carry research on silviculture of the irrigated, riverine and natural forests in the clay plain of the Sudan, specifically on species trails, establishment techniques, regeneration and growth.
· Coordinate research programs on:
o Acacia spp sponsored by FAO and IBGR.
o Nitrogen uptake and water use efficiency in Acacia senegal sponsored by IAEA.
o Fast growing trees for energy sponsored by Ford Foundation.
· National counterpart for the Finnish-Sudan Forestry Research Program in Sudan.
· Mobilize and master the human, financial and physical resources of the section to execute the approved research programs.
3.2.4 Assistant Researcher (1979 – 1983) at the Forestry Research Center of Agricultural Research Corporation, Sudan, to pursue research on:
· Developing techniques for planting Prosopis spp in the
dryland of Sudan.
· Describing a nursery stock for planting on clay and sandy
· Describing an effective water harvesting types for planting.
· Trials on Prosopis spp.
· Ecological studies on Acacia tortils.
· Silvculture and management of Eucalyptus microtheca.
I wrote the proposals, progress reports and final reports of the following internationally sponsored projects:
1. Evaluation of the performance of Acacia spp for dryland forestation. Sponsored by FAO and IBGR.
2. Nitrogen uptake and water use efficiency in Acacia senegal. Sponsored by IAEA.
3. Evaluation of the growth of fast growing tree spp for energy. Sponsored by Ford Foundation.
4. Tree Seed Center in Sudan. Sponsored by DANNIDA.
5. Ecology of Boswellia papylifera in East Africa. Sponsored by AFREA.
6. Introduction and Evaluation of Prosopis spp in Sudan. Sponsored by IDRC.
7. Regeneration of Acacia seyal forests in dryland of the Sudan clay plain. Sponsored by FINNIDA.
8. Monitoring of the soil seedbank in dryland of eastern clay plain of Sudan. Sponsored by MHESR
9. Evaluation of the agroforestry system associated Khaya senegalensis and Musa spp. in al-Gazair Forest, Sennar State, Sudan
10. Evaluation of forest technical programs of the North, South and West Darfur States during the season 2008 /2009.
11. Evaluation of forest technical programs of the Gezira, Sennar, Blue Nile and White Nile States during the season 2015 /2016.
Participated in the following courses held at various national and international universities:
· 1982: Experimental designs and research operations
· 1983: Experimental designs and statistical analysis
· 1985: Computer course ( Introduction, operation and computation )
· 1992: Tropical soils
· 1992: Special topics on forest ecology
· 1992: Tropical forest ecology and silviculture
· 1992: Germplasm conservation
· 1993: Plant and soil chemistry
· 1993: Ecological genetics in plant breeding
· 1993: East African vegetation
· 1993: Inter-Nordic course on forestry in developing countries
· 1993: Statistical analysis
· 1994: Academic scientific writing
· 1994: Tropical ecology and environmental conservation
· 1994: Tropical dendrology
· 1994: Root symbants of the trees
· 1996: Philosophy of biological sciences
· 1996: Research methodology
3.5 Workshops and Seminars
Participated or contributed into the following seminars and workshops:
· 1987: Introduction seminar on Algarroba (Prosopis), Recife, Brazil.
· 1992: Agriculture and forestry in developing countries, Helsinki, Finland.
· 1992: Measuring soil moisture, Helsinki, Finland.
· 1993: Improving Bamboo production, Nairobi, Kenya.
· 1994: Special topics on silviculture in developing countries, Helsinki, Finland.
· 1999: Local management of the natural forests, Bamako, Mali.
· 1999: First Forestry Research Directors Meeting, Nairobi, Kenya.
· 2000: Second Forestry Research Directors Meeting, Nairobi, Kenya.
· 2000: The regional workshop on management of trees for farm land rehabilitation and development, Khartoum, Sudan.
· 2003: Trees and agroforestry in climate change, Hyytilia, Finland.
· 2004: United Nation Forestry Forum (UNFF), Geneva, Swissland.
· 2004: Education of agroforestry, Kigali, Rwanda.
· 2004: Eradication of Mesquite in Gezira State, Medani, Sudan.
· 2004: Genetically modified organisms, Medani, Sudan.
· 2004: Environmental agriculture, Medani, Sudan.
· 2004: The second national pest management conference in the Sudan.
· 2007: Control of mesquite in Sudan, Khartoum, Sudan.
· 2011: REFORUM Deans' Annual Meeting, Malawi.
· 2015: REFORUM Deans' Annual Meeting, Uganda.
· 2016: REFORUM Biennial Conference, South Africa.
· 2017: REFORUM Deans' Annual Meeting, Malawi.
· 2018: REFORUM Biennial Conference, Kenya.
· 2012: Approaching farmers on climate change, Sudan.
· 2017–2018: Three successive workshops organized by Sudan Sustainable Natural Resources Management Project (SSNRMP) on community participation, monitoring and evaluation, and pastoralism, Sudan.
· 2017: Workshop on the country program, organized by the Carbon Project.
· 2019: Workshop on Initiatives on Drought and Disaster Resilience, organized by IGAD, Sudan
3.6 Computer skills
1. Word processing
2. Statistical packages (SAS, SYSTAT, SPSS, GenStat, GLIM, EXCEL).
3. Networking systems (Internet, www, e-mail)
3.7 Language Skills
1. Very fluent in both spoken English and Arabic.
2. High skills in understanding and writing in English and Arabic.
3. Fair understanding in Swahili.
4.1. Journal articles
- Mustafa A. F. (1987). Growth of six Eucalyptus species in Wad Medani Arboretum. Sudan Silva. IV (26): 51-62.
- Mustafa A. F. (1988). Prosopis chilensis a prospective tree for Sudan’s dry zone. M. H. Habit (Ed.). The current status of knowledge on Prosopis juliflora. II International Conference on Prosopis. Recefie, Brazil, 25-29 August, 1986. FAO: 164-168.
- El Amin, K. H. & A. F. Mustafa (1996). Phosphorus use efficiency of the gum Arabic tree, Acacia senegal (L.) Willd in Sudan. Isotope studies on plant productivity. IAEA Tech Doc 889: 53-62.
- Mustafa A. F., K. H. El Amin & A. A. Salih (1996). Water use efficiency studies of Acacia senegal (L.) Willd provenances in Sudan. Isotope studies on plant productivity. IAEA Tech Doc 889: 131-136.
- Ibrahim, E., H. A. Mohamed & A. F. Mustafa (1999). Allelopathic effect of Eucalyptus and Conocarpus plantation on germination and growth of two sorghum species. Sudan j. agric. Res. 2: 9-14.
· Abdelaziz A. G., A. M. Lazim & H. F. Mustafa (2003). Estimation of available browse for Acacia tortilis and Acacia mellifera in Butana area of central Sudan. Sudan Silva. IX (2): 46 - 55.
- Ibrahim Umar, Hasabelrasoul Fadlelmula Mustafa, Mohamed Saeed Ahmed Zaroug, Mohammed Bello Abdullahi, Hammani Babangida (2019).Comparison of Effectiveness of Management Approaches of Gashaka-Gumti National Park and Yankari Game Reserves in Dry Region of North-East Nigeria on Conservation of Tree Species. Haya Saudi J Life Sci: 15-27.
- Ahmed Younis Ibrahim Younis , Hasabelrasoul Fadlelmula
Mustafa , Mohamed Almukhtar Ballal (2018). Perception of the Local Community Towards Utilization and Role of Non-wood Forest Products in Bahr Alarab Locality, East Darfur State, Sudan. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, Vol.
11 (6): 74-81.
· Hasabelrasoul Fadlelmula Mustafa & Rona Abdallah Bushra (2018).
Effect of Leaf Aqueous Extract of Prosopis juliflora (Swartz) DC and Acacia raddiana (Brenan) on Early Growth of Sorghum sudanese (Piper Stapf). IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, Vol. 11 (6): 26 -31.
· Ibrahim Umar, Hasabelrasoul Fadlelmula Mustafa, Mohamed Saeed Ahmed Zaroug, Mohammed Bello Abdullahi , Hammani Babangida (2018).Evaluation of Management Approaches of Selected Protected Area Types in Dry Region of North-East Nigeria. World Journal of Innovative Research (WJIR) Vol.5 (6):11-22
- Mustafa, A. F. (1997). Regeneration of Acacia seyal forests on the dryland of the Sudan clay plain. Univ. Helsinki Tropic. 103p.
- Mustafa, A. F. (1989). Irrigation of the Eucalyptus microtheca Muel. Forestry Research Section, Medani, Sudan. Pamphlet No. 1: 18p.
- Mustafa, A. F. (1986). Investigation on the plantable size of seedlings of Prosopis chilensis (Molina) Stuntz. Forestry Research Center, Sudan. Prosopis Pamphlet No. 4: 26p.
- Mustafa, A. F. (1986). The performance of Prosopis chilensis (Molina) Stuntz seedlings of various ages and sizes grown in the field under various soil working methods. Forestry Research Center, Sudan. Prosopis Pamphlet No. 5: 17p.
4.4. Working papers
· Mustafa H. F. (2004). Definition of some important terminologies
in the environment. Working paper presented in workshop:
Environment and the Peace. Ministry of Agriculture, Animal
Wealth and Irrigation, Gezira State, Medani, Sudan: 20p.
- Mustafa H. F. (2004). Eradication of Algarroba. Working paper presented in seminar: Eradication of Mesquite. Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Wealth and Irrigation, Gezira State, Medani, Sudan: 20p.
- Mustafa H. F. (2007). Monitoring and fading of Algarroba soil seedbank. Invited paper presented at workshop on control of mesquite in Sudan held at the Forest National Corporation, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Mustafa H. F. (2012). Status of using the agrometeorological data in agricultural research held by the University of Gezira, Sudan.
- Mustafa, A. F. (1989). Evaluation of performance and productivity of Acacia nilotica and Acacia tortilis taxa. Forestry Research Section, Medani, Sudan, FAO/ IBPGR Project on Genetic Resources for Arid and Semiarid areas. Final Report: 19p.
- Mustafa, A. F. & A. A. Salih (1991) Variability in phosphorus and water use efficiency in Acacia senegal (L.) Willd provenances. Forestry Research Section, Medani, Sudan. IAEA – Sudan Project Contract No. 5577/SD. Final Report: 31p.
- Mustafa, A. F. (1992). Kassala Area Development Activities (KADA). Forestry Research Section, Medani, Sudan. Final Report: 14p.
- Mustafa, A. F. (1992). Fast growing trees for energy. Forestry Research Section, Medani, Sudan. Final report: 33p.
- Mustafa, A. F. (1999). Forestry Research Status in Sudan. A country report presented at the meeting of the Directors of the Forestry Research Institutions in Eastern Africa countries, Muguga, Kenya: 21p.
- Mustafa, A. F. Nine annual reports covered the periods 1984 – 91 and 1998 – 99. Available at the Forestry Research Center, Sudan.
6. Organizations and committees membership
I'm actively involving in the membership of the following NGOs:
- Sudanese Foresters Association
- Conservation of Environment Association (Sudan)
- Union of Sudanese Agriculturists
- Council of Agriculturists (Sudan)
- International Union of Forestry Research Organizations
- Association of Environmental Agriculture
- Sudanese Society for Natural Products
- Sudanese Association for Public Forestation
- African Network for Agroforestry Education (ANAFE)
- Sudanese Meteorological Association
- Member of Forestation Committee of the Gezira State, Sudan.
- Member of Environment Committee of the Gezira State, Sudan.
- Member of Advisory Council for the minister of Agriculture, Animal Wealth and Natural Resources of the Gezira State, Sudan.
- Member of REFORUM Deans’ Council
7. Environmental Awareness
- I'm contributing in the activities and programs of Sudanese Conservation of Environment Society, which is the leading environmental NGO’s in the Sudan.
- I participated in several public awareness campaigns by presenting public talks, radio and television programs, writing newspapers articles and others publicity materials such as newsletters and posters.
- I participated in planning and supervising workshops on environmental problems in Gezira State of Sudan which was attended by scientists and cinema and television artists and journalist.
- I contributed in capacity building of the members of Conservation of Environment Society (Medani Branch).
- I contributed in formulating and writing the climate change adaptation plan for Gezira State.
- I contributed in formulating and writing the data base on natural resources of Great Butana, Sudan.
- I actively participated in drafting Forests Law and Policy of the Gezira State, Sudan.
- Professor Azhari Abdel Azim Hamada,
Former Director General of Agricultural Research and Technology Corporation, Medani, Sudan.
Phone: + 249 – 0511842226.
- Professor Mohamed Warrag Omer,
Former Vice Chancellor of the University of Gezira, Medani, Sudan.
Phone: + 249 - 0511843174
- Professor Olavi Luukkanen,
Former Professor of Tropical Resources Institute (VITRI),
Fin-00014 University of Helsinki,
Phone: +358 - 9 – 191- 58619
Fax: +358 - 9 – 191- 58646