1. PERSONAL DATA
Name: Muna Mohamed Elhag Musa
Present Post: Associate Professor,
Water Management and Irrigation Institute
Deputy Dean, Postgraduate College
University of Gezira
Water Management and Irrigation Institute
University of Gezira, P. O. Box 20,
Wad Medani, SUDAN
Mobile: + 249121397155
Ph.D.: Agrometeorology, Department of Soil, Crop and Climate Sciences, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of the Free State, South Africa, 2007
M.Sc.: Agriculture (Irrigation), Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum, Sudan, 1997
B.Sc. Honours: Agriculture (Agricultural Mechanization), University of Khartoum, Sudan, 1991
3. EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE
Deputy Dean, Postgraduate college, (Feb. 2017), University of Gezira
Deputy Dean, Deanship of Graduate Studies and Scientific Research, (March. 2012-Jan 2017), University of Gezira
Associate professor, Agrometeorology (Feb. 2014---), Water Management and Irrigation Institute, University of Gezira
Associate professor, Agro-meteorology, (Jan. 2012- Feb 2014), Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Gezira
Assistant professor, Irrigation and Water Management (April, 2008 – Dec. 2011), Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Gezira
Ph.D. student & Research Assistant (April 2004 - February, 2007), Department of Soil, Crop and Climate Sciences, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of the Free State, South Africa
Assistant Professor (January 2003-March 2004), Department of Agricultural Engineering, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Gezira
Lecturer (August 1997- December 2002), Department of Agricultural Engineering, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Gezira
Teaching Assistant (December 1993 – July 1997), Department of Agricultural Engineering, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Gezira
4. SKILLS AND PROFESSIONALS
4.1 Subjects & specialization
· Environmental hydrology
· GIS Application
· Spatial Information Analysis
· Image Processing
· Remote Sensing applications
· Decision Support System (DSS)
· Water Management
4.2 Related Software
· ESRI Products (ArcView 3.X, Arc GIS 10.1),
· ArcView Extensions (3.X) Spatial Analyst
· Image Processing software ERDAS (9)
· SPSS 14.0 for Windows (Statistics Analysis for Social Science)
· Windisp 5.1
4.3 Computer skills
· Microsoft Application: Word, PowerPoint, Excel
4.4 Teaching activities
Taught the following courses to the undergraduates and Postgraduates:
· Survey in Agriculture
· Applied Hydrology
· Remote Sensing and Mapping
· Fluid Mechanics
· Sprinkler Irrigation Design
· Crop Water Requirement
5.2 Refereed papers and Chapter in book
1. Muna M.Elhag and Hussein M. Sulieman , 2017. Rainfall Erosivity, Land-Use and Land-Cover Change Analysis for Gadarif Region, Sudan. International Journal of Water Resources and Arid Environments. Vol 6(2):252-260
2. Marwa E. H. Ali, El-Abbas Doka M. Ali, Abdalla S. A. Suliman, Muna M. Ehag, Mahgoub S. Mohamedain. Determining the Magnitude of High Spot Lands by using Remote Sensing in Irrigated Schemes Case Study: Al Rahad Agricultural Scheme-Sudan, 2016. International Journal of Science and Research. Vol. Issue 12: 621-628.
3. Muna M. Elhag. Mapping rangeland degradation by using rainfall and remote
sensing data, North-Eastern Region, Sudan, 2016. RUFORUM Working Document Series (ISSN 1607-9345) No. 14 (1): 1009-1015. http://repository.ruforum.org
4. Mayada, M.B., Muna, M.E. and Mamoun, B.M, 2016. RUFORUM trains the next generation of scientists for Sudan: The case of the Agricultural Research Corporation, University of Gezira and University of Kordofan RUFORUM Working Document Series (ISSN 1607-9345) No. 14 (1): 149-161. http://repository.ruforum.org
5. Ammar Mokhtar Gomaha and Muna M. Elhag. Monitoring drought in central Sudan by using Combined Drought Index, 2013. International Journal of Water Resources and Arid Environments. Vol. 2
6. Hussein M. Sulieman, Manfred F. Buchroithner and Muna M. Elhag
Use of Local Knowledge for Assessing Vegetation Changes in the Southern Gadarif Region, Sudan, 2012. Africa Journal of Ecology. Vol. 50 (233-242)
7. Nadir Ahmed Elagib, and Muna M. Elhag, 2011. Major climate indicators of ongoing drought in Sudan. Journal of Hydrology, vol. (409): 612-625
8. Muna M. Elhag and Sue Walker, 2011. A decision Support Tool to Assess Desertification condition in Arid and Semi- Arid Regions. International Journal of Water Resources and Arid Environments. Vol. 1(5): 378-381.
9. Muna M. Elhag and Sue Walker, 2010. Environmental Degradation of Natural Resources in Butana Area of Sudan. In: P. Zdruli et al. (eds) Land Degradation and Desertification: Assessment, Mitigation and Remediation, DOI 10.1007/978-90-481-8657-0_13.
10. Muna Elhag and Sue Walker, 2009. Impact of climate variability on vegetative cover in the Butana area of Sudan. African Journal of Ecology Vol. 47 (Suppl. 1), 11–16.
12. Muna M. Elhag and Sue Walker, 2009. Impact of Climate change and the Human Activities on land degradation in Arid and Semi-arid Region. Nile Basin Water Science and Engineering Scientific Magazine, Vol.2, 31-38
5.2 Refereed Conference papers
1. Muna M. Elhag, 2012. Assessment of climate change impact on sorghum productivity in Sudan. Third RUFORUM Biennial conference 24 - 28 September 2012, Entebbe, Uganda
2. Muna M. Elhag and Sue Walker, 2010. Perceptions of the pastoralists on environmental degradation. TWOWS Fourth General Assembly and International conference: Women Scientists in a changing world, 27 -30 June 2010, Beijing, China.
3. Muna M. Elhag and Hussein M. Sulieman, 2010. An overview to Climate Change in North Africa: Implication to Africa. RUFORUM Bienal Conference on Improved Food and Livelihood Security, 20 – 24 September 2010. Entebbe, Uganada.
4. Muna M. Elhag 2010. Application of Remote Sensing and Rainfall data for Mapping Rangeland Degradation, North-eastern Region Sudan. International conference on Pastoralism and climate change Adaptation in Africa, Egerton , Kenya, 24th – 28th May 2010.
5. Muna M. Elhag, Hussein M. Sulieman and Nagat, A. Elmuthum, 2011. Can Sudan Achieve food security under climate change and Violence? 10th African Crop Science Society Conference, Maputo, Mozambique, 10th to 13th October 2011.
5.3 Oral Presentation
1. Muna M. Elhag, 2009. Linking of Agro-meteorological data in Relation to Climate Changes in Sudan. Regional workshop for Climate Change and Trans-boundary Animal Diseases, 15 October 2009.
2. Muna M. Elhag and Sue Walker, 2007. Is it climate change or climate variability? Conference on Building Scientific and Technical Capacity through Graduate Training and Agricultural Research in African Universities, Malawi, 22-28 April 2007.
· Impact of Land Development on the Nile River flow regime Using Remote Sensing and GIS (Case study Khartoum State), 2016. (Co-investigator) (Running)
· Graduate Training and Research to Enhance Food Security by Improving the Adaptation of smallholder farmers to Water Scarcity and Climate Change in the Sudan, 2014, (Principal Investigator)
· Sharing capacity to build capacity for quality graduate trianing in agriculture in african universities (SHARE), 2013 (Co-investigator)
· GIS based decision tool for sustainable development of Sudd Marshes region (Sudan), 2010. Publisher Nile Basin Capacity Building Network.
· Improved Drought Early Warning and FORecasting to strengthen preparedness and adaptation to droughts in Africa (DEWFORA) 2011. A 7th Framework Programme Collaborative Research Project. Pp 319
5.4 Training and workshops
· A regional workshop on “GIS Application in Climate Change”, organized by Alexandria Research Centre for Adaption to climate change (ARCA), 2016
· Geographic Information System and Remote Sensing, HRS, Ministry of Irrigation and Water Resources, Wad Medani_ Sudan 2011.
· Nile Basin Capacity Building Network Specialized Training Course on Climate Change Adaptation; Strategies and Tools” Cairo, Egypt, 17th-21th July 2011
· Academic Staff Professional Development, University of Gezira, Wad Medan, Sudan, 20101
· Enhancing the Participation of African Women Scientists in Climate Change Assessment, Information Dissemination and Policy Advocacy, , Kenyam August 2010
· Workshop on Developing Writing and Publication Skills for Science Research- South Africa, 2006
· Workshop in The Climate Change Over Africa- Alexandria -Egypt 2005.
· Training course in Remote Sensing, Maseru, Lesotho, 2004
· International post graduate training on environmental hydrology for arid and semi-arid regions, (HRI), Cairo, Egypt, 2003.
· Journal Reviewer Post-Graduate Diploma in Hydraulic Engineering in River Basins, Hydraulic Research Institute (HRI), Cairo, Egypt, 2000.
· Training course on SAS enterprise, South Africa 2006
· Workshop on SPSS Data Entering and Analysis, South Africa
5.5. Supervision (M.Sc and Ph.D.)
10 M.Sc. and 3 Ph.D.
5.6. Internal Examiners
Ph.D. and six M.Sc. Students; Water Management and Irrigation Institute and Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Gezira.
5.7. Journal Reviewer
1. GEZIRA JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
2. Sudan Journal of Agricultural Research
3. Journal of Bakht Er-Ruda for Agricultural Sciences
· University of Gezira scholarship for post graduate studies for M.Sc. Degree 1995-1997, Sudan.
· Third World Organization for women in Sciences (TWOWS) scholarship for post graduate studies for PhD degree 2004-2007, South Africa.
· Agricultural Engineers Union- Sudan
· Metrology Association Sudan
· Sudanese Environmental Society, Sudan
· General Union for Sudan Agricultural Engineers, Sudan
· Organization of Women in Science for Developing World (OWSD)
· Regional Universities Form for Capacity Building in Agriculture, Uganda (RUFORUM)
· Able to function effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
· Good communication skills.
· Good information Technology skills – able to use word processing, spreadsheet and presentation program, able to obtain information from the internet.
Interests and Hobbies:
· I thoroughly enjoy traveling and learning about different cultures as well as listening to various types of local music.
· I speak Arabic and am fluent in English.
1. Prof. Adipala Ekwamu
Regional Universities Forum for
Capacity Building in Agriculture(RUFORUM)
Plot Garden Hill, Makerere University
Main CampusP.O Box 16811
2. Prof Eltayeb M. Abd Elmalik
Department of Soil and water
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences
University of Gezira
Tel: +249 912530155
3. Ahmed Mohamed Adam
Professor of water Resources
Ministry of Irrigation and Water Resources, Khartoum - Sudan
Tel: + 249 912320485
4. Prof. Sue Walker
Department of Soil, Crop and Climate Sciences
Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
University of the Free State
Bloemfontein, South Africa