Wail Nuri Osman Mukhtar
- Clinical work and research in the field of Otorhinolaryngology (Ear, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck) specialty.
- Teaching and research in Health Professions Education at Institutions of High Education (Medical Colleges and other Health Professional Institutions) as well as Advanced Research and Training Centers.
Marital status: Married
Date of Birth: 1st Jan. 1972.
Department of Surgery
Faculty of Medicine, University of Gezira
P.O Box 20
Wad Medani, Sudan
TEL. 00249-925109052 Fax.00249-511-843415
Knowledge of PC-based applications software, including SPSS.
· Assistant professor, Department of surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gezira, since May 2007
· Director of the Education Development and Research Centre (EDC - Gezira) Faculty of Medicine, University of Gezira – Nov. 2013.
· ENT Consultant, Department of ENT, Wad-Medani Teaching Hospital since May 2007.
· Head Department of ENT, Wad-Medani Teaching Hospital since Jan 2011.
- MD in Otorhinolaryngology, Sudan Medical Specialization Board May 2007. Registered in the Sudan Medical Council 1st Aug. 2007
- Master Student (By Courses and Research) in Health Profession Education, Education Development Center (EDC), Gezira University, Dec. 2011
3. MBBS, University of Gezira, Faculty of Medicine, Sudan 2000.
· Full registration in the Sudan Medical Council 2002.
· Passed the first part and the written component of the second part, for the Fellowship in Ear, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck Surgery, The Arab Board for Medical Specialization.
1. House Officer, Federal Ministry of Health, Sudan (Aug. 2000–Dec. 2001):
· Obstetrics & Gynecology – Wad Medani Teaching Hospital
· Surgery – Wad Medani Teaching Hospital
· Medicine – Wad Medani Teaching Hospital
· ENT – Wad Medani Teaching Hospital
· Orthopedics – Khartoum Teaching Hospital
· Paediatrics - Wad Medani Paeditrics Hospital
2. Medical Officer El-Damazin Hospital, Blue Nile State (Jan.– July 2002).
3. Medical Officer Wad-Medani Teaching Hospital, Gezira State (July 2002 – March 2003)
4. Teaching assistant in Faculty of Medicine, University of Gezira April 2003 to April 2007.
5. Registrar of ENT, Sudan Medical Specialization Board Dec.2002.
6. Went through four years training programme in otorhinolaryngology, head and neck surgery (April 2003- April. 2007).
7. Assistant professor, Gezira University since August 2007.
8. ENT Consultant at Wad-Medani Teaching Hospital since August 2007.
9. Member of the Faculty Board- Faculty of Medicine-University of Gezira.
10. Member of the Sudanese Otorhinolaryngology Society.
11. Workshops. Organizer & co-coordinator, Educational Development Center –Faculty of Medicine –University of Gezira (FMUG) (July 2007- Dec. 2008).
12. Head of Curriculum Evaluation and Development Office, EDC – Gezira (Aug. 2007- Dec. 2008).
13. Member of the Curriculum Evaluation and Development Committee, EDC – Gezira.
14. Member of the Problem-Based Learning Committee, EDC – Gezira.
15. Member of the Student Feedback Committee, EDC – Gezira
16. Assisted in designing standard course feedback form for all courses at FMUG.
17. Design management protocol for upper airway obstruction, Khartoum ENT Hospital 2005 (during registrar rotation), still in use today.
18. Design management protocol for hair dye poisoning, Khartoum ENT Hospital 2005 (during registrar rotation), still in use today.
19. Design management protocol for epistaxis, Khartoum ENT Hospital 2005 (during registrar rotation), still in use today.
20. Active participant in developing management protocols for emergencies in ENT, Specialty board, Federal Ministry of Health.
21. Teaching for the Faculty of Dentistry – University of Gezira.
22. Teaching for the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences (Nursing, Anaesthesia & psychology) – University of Gezira.
23. Tutor in short courses organized by the EDC e.g. PBL and role of tutor in PBL
24. Member of the Accreditation Committee in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Gezira.
25. Member of the Faculty committee for international \external relations and links with UK, Canada and Germany.
26. Member of the curriculum revision committees – Faculty of Medicine University of Gezira.
27. Lecturer, coordinator and examiner of the ENT course in the Family Medicine diploma\master programme joint between University of Gezira and the Gezira State Ministry of Health.
28. Participated in the development of the curriculum for the Family Medicine diploma\ master Programme.
29. Participated in the development of the curriculum of the Clinical MD in Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, SMSB.
30. Supervisor and coordinator of the Master Program in Health Professions Education (HPE), EDC.
31. Member of the Sinnet University of Gezira.
32. Member of the executive committee Sudanese ORL Head & Neck Society.
Contribution in Undergraduate teaching:
· Teaching in Surgical Clerkship and other courses.
· Coordinator of the Surgical Clerkship for four rotations
· Coordinator of the Cardiopulmonary I course (six times up to now)
· Academic supervision for 30 students.
· Teaching for the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Gezira.
· Teaching for the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences (Nursing, Anaesthesia & psychology) – University of Gezira.
Contribution in Postgraduates teaching:
· Editor in the Gezira Journal of Health Sciences.
· Supervisor and coordinator on the Master Degree Program in Health Professions Education, EDC.
· Coordinator in the Family Medicine Master Program.
· External examiner in the thesis examination of the SMSB, three times (see documents).
· First supervisor (1) and second supervisor (1) for the thesis submitted in partial fulfillment for the degree of MD in Otolaryngology, SMSB (see documents).
· Second supervisor submitted in fulfillment of the requirements of the degree of doctor of philosophy (PhD), Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Gezira (see document).
· Training of ENT registrars, dept of ENT, Wad Medani Hospital.
Conferences, Workshops and Seminars attended:
1. Problem Based Learning (PBL) Tutor training Workshop, Ahfad University for Women 9 – 10th of July 2003 (participant).
2. Instructional Methods & Evaluation Methods Course, EDC- Gezira, 9 – 12th May 2005.
3. Research Methodology, National Centre for Neurological Science, El-Shaab Hospital 4 – 13th Feb. 2006.
4. National Conference of the Sudan Otorhinolaryngology (ORL) Head & Neck Society, Khartoum on 14th Dec. 2006.
5. Student advisory & supervision; training course for academic staff. EDC – Gezira, 21 – 22nd June 2007.
6. Tutoring in Problem Based Learning, EDC – Gezira, 26th July 2007.
7. Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma, the forth national seminar, Sudan ORL Head & Neck Society, Khartoum 5th Sep. 2007.
8. Learning, teaching & assessing Communication skills, EDC for Medical & Health Professions, Faculty of Medicine- University of Khartoum, 25 – 27th Aug. 2007.
9. Training of Trainers Assessment Workshop, EDC for Medical & Health Professions, Faculty of Medicine- University of Khartoum 24 – 27th Nov. 2007.
10. Student Assessment Course, EDC – Gezira 28 – 29th Nov. 2007.
11. Workshop: Designing of postgraduate programs for health professions education, EDC – Gezira 16th Jan 2008.
12. Tutoring in Problem Based Learning, EDC – Gezira, 27th Feb. 2008.
13. Instructional Methods Course, EDC – Gezira 25th March 2008.
14. The Fist Qatari Course For Arab Board Trainees in Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, Doha, Qatar 24 – 26th April 2008.
15. Educational Planning Course, EDC – Gezira 18th June 2008.
16. Training Course in Research Ethics. National Cancer Institute, University of Gezira 1st & 2nd of June 2009.
17. Workshop: ENT curriculum development, Sudan Medical Specialization Board.
18. International Seminar on Management of Rhinosinusitis, Antalyia, Turkey Nov 15 – 18, 2011.
19. Training course in Research Management, Blue Nile Institute, 2012.
Training Courses attended:
1. Functional Endoscopic Sinus surgery, Ibn-Sina Hospital, Sudan, 6 – 8th Oct. 2003.
2. Laser application in Medicine, Laser Institute – Sudan University for Science & Technology, 28\9 – 2\10\ 2005.
3. Acute Life-threatening Event Recognition & Treatment (ALERT), EDC-Gezira, 19th Aug. 2007.
4. Infection control course, Faculty of Medicine- Gezira University in collaboration with Norfolk-Norwich University Hospital UK, Police Hospital, Wad-Medani 19 – 21st Nov. 2007.
5. Observation and clinical exposure Norfolk-Norwich University Hospital, UK 13 – 27 July 2008.
6. Functional Endoscopic Sinus surgery (FESS). Federal Ministry of Health & National Centre for ENT Diseases & Head & Neck Surgery, Khartoum 23 – 25th April 2009.
7. Temporal Bone Dissection & Middle Ear Surgery Course. Ain-shams University, Cairo, Egypt 26th Sep. – 2nd Oct. 2009.
8. Advances in Surgical Management of Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, Ear Institute, University College London, 28 Nov 2012
9. Foundation of Otological Surgery, Ear Institute, University College London, 28 Nov 2012
10. Head and Neck Cancer Surgery training course, Head and Neck Department, Iowa University Hospitals and Clinics, USA, 3-8 Jun 2013.
1. Management of Hair Dye Poisoning. Hair Dye Poisoning: First seminar of the Sudan ORL Head & Neck Society, Khartoum 2006
2. Early detection of hearing loss in children, Third National Seminar: Early detection & rehabilitation of sensorineural hearing loss in children. Sudan ORL Head & Neck Society, Wad-Medani 13th June 2007.
3. Management of Epistaxis; Comparison of different treatment modalities. The First International Conference of the Sudan ORL Head & Neck Society, Khartoum 29 -30th May 2008.
4. Common Peadiatrics Problems in ENT Dept. Wad-Medani Hospital. The Forth National Conference of the Sudan ORL Head & Neck Society, Khartoum 7th May 2008.
5. Management of Acute Upper Airway Obstruction. Updating Management Protocols for ENT Emergencies ENT Specialty Council - Federal Ministry of Health, Khartoum 22-10-2009.
6. Curriculum development. Workshop: ENT curriculum development, Sudan Medical Specialization Board.
7. Improvement of clinical assessment. ENT Clinical Examination Workshop, Sudan Medical Specialization Board. Khartoum 8 May 2013.
1. Elmustafa O M & Osman W N. A clinical Experience with sharp Bronchial Foreign bodies in Sudanese Patients. Sudanese Journal of Public Health April 2009; Vol. 4 No. 2: 256-258.
2. Elmustafa O M, Osman W N, Eljaily E M. Ishaq M Y. Nasopharyngeal Hemangiopericytoma in a Sudanese child: A Literature Review and Case Report. Sudan Journal of Medical Sciences 2010; Vol. 4 No. 2: 256-258.
3. W N Osman & O M Elmustafa. Common ORL surgical emergencies in Sudanese children. Sudan Journal of Medical Sciences 2011; Vol. 6 No. 3: 191-194.
4. W N Osman, O M Elmustafa, M El Elsiddiq. Primary tuberculosis of the maxillary sinus: a case report. Gezira Journal of Health Sciences 2011; 7 (2): 105-110.
5. M E M Abdelkarim, W N Osman, O M Elmustafa. A Lingual Thyroid Associated With Profound Sensorineural Hearing Loss. Gezira Journal of Health Sciences 2012; 8 (1): 85-88.
6. W N Osman et al. Hair Dye Poisoning: An Important Aetiological Factor in Acute Renal Failure in Gezira, Sudan. Gezira Journal of Health Sciences 2012; 8 (2): 37-46.
7. W N Osman, O M Elmustafa. Ectopic Thyroid Presenting as a Subligual Mass in a Sudanese Girl. Gezira Journal of Health Sciences 2012; 8 (2): 71-76.
8. W N Osman, O M Elmustafa & Inas M Abd Elgalil. Common Ear, Nose & Throat Problems in the Under- Five Sudanese Children. Gezira Journal of Health Sciences 2013; 9 (1): 37- 44.
9. W N Osman, Diaa eldin Elgaili Abubakr & M E M Elsanousi. Post Graduate Studies in Health Professiona Education at Gezira EDC: A Step towards improving and reforming Health Professiona Education locally and regionally. Gezira Journal of Health Sciences 2013; 9 (1): 67-70.
Director of the EDC – Nov 2013
· Head of thesis committee, ORL Head & Neck Council, SMSB.
· Member of the quality control & accreditation Committees
· Member of the University of Gezira quality control & accreditation council
· The Diploma\Master of Audiology. The Audiology Programme Workshop, SMSB, National ENT, Head & Neck Center, Khartoum,
· Sharing experience in the process of accreditation; The Faculty of Medicine, University of Gezira. The accreditation programme - Sudan Medical Council, Al-Salam Hotel, Khartoum, 6 June 2015.
I. Master of health professions education
II. MD, ORL Head & Neck Council, SMSB.
III. Master and PhD – University of Gezira
· The Diploma\Master of Audiology, ORL, Head & Neck Council, SMSB
· ToT & Master Programme of Obstetrical Anaesthetic Emergencies for Somali assistants & technicians anaesthiologists, WHO – EMRO.
· Curriculum design and development:
ü Cambridge International Medical College – Khartoum
ü Garden City Medical School – Khartoum
ü Riyadh International Medical College – Khartoum