Name: Ali El Amin El Jack
Place and Date of Birth: Wad Medani, Sudan 1.1.1952.
Mother Tongue: Arabic.
Other Languages: English.
Marital Status: Married& have children.
Address of institution: Department of Horticulture, Faculty of
Agricultural Sciences, University of Gezira,
P.O. Box, 20 Wad Medani, Sudan.
Tel.(office) 0511841623- .
Education (Higher Degrees):
- University of Khartoum, Sudan (1970-1975) B.Sc. (Agric) Honours Class 1.
- Cornell University, U.S.A (1979-1984) PhD. (Plant Breeding).
Employment and Academic Responsibilities:
1- Agricultural officer, Sudan Gezira Board (1976-1977).
2- Research Assistant at the Agricultural Research Corporation, Wad
Medani(1977-1978),conducting experiments in vegetable production.
3- Teaching Assistant at University of Khartoum (1978-1979) helping in teaching courses at the Department of Horticulture.
4- Teaching Assistant at University of Gezira, Wad Medani, study
period at Cornell University, U.S.A. Department of Plant Breeding and Biometry(1979-1984).
Present Employment and Duties:
- Assistant Professor, University of Gezira, 1984-1993.
- Associate Professor 1.1.1993.
- Head Department, Horticulture September, 1994- July, 2003.
- Professor of plant breeding January, 1998.
- Head, Department of horticulture 2006 – to date.
Teaching and research responsibilities:
1- Methods of plant breeding- 3 credit hours.
2- Introductory genetics-3 credit hours .
3- Principles of plant breeding – 3 credit hours .
5- Breeding of horticultural crops- 3 credit hours .
6- Production of vegetable crops – 3 credit hours .
7- Cell biology and plant anatomy – 4 credit hours.
8- Introductory quantitative genetics – 3 credit hours.
9- Introductory statistics and experimental design- 3 credit hours.
1- Plant breeding - 2 credit hours.
2- Breeding for pest and disease resistance – 2 credit hours.
3- Cytogenetics - 2 credit hours.
4- Seminar coordinator – 1 credit hour.
- Joint research program with Dr. Anna Dourado, University of Bath-
UK on vegetable seeds, as part of Gezira-Bath link program (1988-1990).
- Vegetable breeding program (1988-1990).
- Breeding (tomato,squash, cucumber) for powdery mildew resistance.
- Breeding squash, for cucumber mosaic virus (CMV)-(1988-1990).
- Heat tolerance in tomatoes (Joint research with ARC- Hort. Section).
- Garlic production in the Gezira.
- Participating in research on vegetables for export 1992-now,
breeding for disease resistance in vegetables.
- Participating in IPM research program 1992- now.
- Breeding squash for Zucchini yellow mosaic virus (ZYMV) and powdery mildew resistance, 1994-now.
- Breeding peppers for CMV resistance and adaptation to the tropics.
- advising about 20 M.Sc. theses and 6 PhD theses.
1- El Jack, A. E. 1984. The inheritance of partially dominant resistance to powdery mildew ( Sphaerotheca fuliginea Poll.) in cucumber
- ( Cucumis sativus L.) PhD. Thesis, Cornell University.
2- El Jack, A. E. and H. M. Munger. 1983. Two sources conferring partially dominant resistance to powdery mildew in cucumber. Hort. Science Vol.(18) 1983 ( Abstract).
3- El Jack, Ali and Henry, M. Munger. 1983. Two sources coferring partially dominant resistance to powdery mildew (Sphaerotheca fuliginea poll.) in cucumber. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Rpt. 6:7-8.
4- Hanan, S. Elawad and Ali, E. El Jack. 1992. Bitterness in snake cucumber Cucumis melo Var. flexuosus Naud. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Rpt.15:54.
5- Mohamed, M. D. El Mekki and Ali, E. El Jack. 1992. Blossom- End- Rot ( BER) and cracking in watermelon (Citrullus lanatus Thunb.) Mastaum and Nakai. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative 15:69-70.
6- Mohamed, Y. E and El Jack, A. E.1994. Screening tomatoes
- ( Lycopersicon spp) for powdery mildew( Leveillula taurica ( Lev) Arnand) Resistance in the Sudan. Tomato Genetics Cooperative Report No.44:1994.27-28.
7- lecoq, H., G.A. Dafalla, Y.F. Mohamed, H.M. Ali, C. wipf- Scheibe, C. Desbiez, A. E. El Jack, S. K. Omara and M. Pitrat. 1994. Survey of virus diseases infecting cucurbit crops in eastern, centeral and western Sudan. University of Khartoum Journal of Agricultural Science. Vol. 2 No.2 July 1994.67-82.
8- Ahmed, E. A.,A. E. El Jack, A. M. Salama and G. A. Daffala. 1996. Resistance to three isolates of zucchini yellow mosaic virus (ZYMV) in squash (Cucurbita pepo L.). Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Rept. 19:81-82.
9- Ahmed, E. A., A. E. El Jack and Y. F. Mohamed. 1997. Breeding for resistance to powdery mildew in snake melon ( Cucumis melo var. flexuosus) in Sudan. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Rept. 20:30-1.
10- Ahmed, A. E., A. E. El Jack, M. E. Suliman and Y. F. Mohamed.
1998. Evaluation of hot peppers (Capsicum annuum L.) local germplasm for powdery mildew (Leveilula taurica (Lev.) arn.) resistance in the Sudan. Sudan Journal of Agricultural Research. 1:53-55.
11- Ahmed, E. A, A. E. El Jack and Y. F. Mohamed 1998. Breeding for resistance to powdery mildew (Cucurbita pepo L.). Sudan Journal of Agricultural Research .1:57-60.
12- Ibnoaf, H. S., E. A. Ahmed, A. E. El Jack and G. A. Daffalla. 1999. Selection of squash (Cucurbita pepo L.) lines resistant to zucchini yellow mosaic virus (ZYMV) in Sudan. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Report 22:55-56.
13- Ahmed, E. A, H. S. Ibnoaf, Suliman, A. E. El Jack and Y. F. Mohamed. 2000. Selection of snake melon lines ( Cucumis melo var Flexuosus) resistant to different races of powdery mildew (Sphaerotheca fuliginea (Schlecht ex. Fr.) Poll.) in Sudan. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Report 23:27-29.
14- Mohamed, T. Yousif, Gasim, A. Daffalla and Ali, E. El Jack. 2003. Identification of a natural source of resistance to watermelon chlorotic stunt virus in an indigenous accession of (Cucumis melo var agrestis). Gezira Journal of Agricultural Science-2003 vol. 1(1):113-117.
15- Taha, M. K. Omara, and A. Eljack (2003). Correlation among growth, yield and quality characters in Cucumis melo. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Report 26:9-11.
16- Taha, M., Eljack, A. E, Omara. S. 2007. Estimation of genetic variability and broad sense heritability of some traits in melon (Cucumis melo L.) Sudan J. agric. Res. (2007), 8:51-57
17- Ahmed, E. Ahmed, A. E. Eljack and A. B. El Ahmedi 2008. Implications of genotype x environment interaction in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) evaluation program. Sudan J. Agric. Research 11:35-44.
18- Khalifa G. E, A. Eljack , O. M. Elamin and S. Mohamed 2009. Influence of drought stress on seed yield and yield components of nine common bean (Phasolus vulgaris L.) genotypes. Gezira J. of Agric. Science 7 (2):180-191.
19- Mohamed S. M. , Ali, E. E, Mohamed T.Y. (2012) Study of heritability and genetic variability among different plant and fruit characters of tamato (Solanum Lycopersican L.) International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research. Vol Issue 2 March 2012. www.IJSTR.org
20- Elamin A. Ahmed, Adil O. Salih, Ali Yousif F. Mohamed, Ali Eljack, Mohamed T. Yousif and Gasim A. Dafalla (2013) Fl Hybrids of squash (Cucurbita pepol L.) Resistant to Zucchini yellow mosaic virus (ZYMV) and powdery mildew Sinnar. University Journal (Suj) 2 (1):56-71.
21- Khalifa, G. E., A. E. ELJack, M. I. Maarouf, O. M. Elamin and E. S. Mohamed 2013. Yield stability in common bean genotypes (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) in the Sudan. Journal of plant breeding and crop Science. Vol. 5(10): 203-208.
22- Yousif, M. T., A. E. Eljack and Osman, A. M. 2012/2013. Identification of natural sources of resistance to powdery mildew, zucchini yellow mosaic virus (ZYMV) and fruit flies in the indigenous pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata) germplasm. Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative 35 and 36 (16-17).
Articles presented in Symposia and workshops:-
1- EL Jack,A.E.1992.Vegetable genetic resources in the Sudan. National plant genetic resources workshop. ARC. Feb. 10-11, 1992.
2- EL Jack, A. E. 1992. Garlic and its medicinal effects. (Arabic). Folk medicine workshop. University of Gezira August 25-27, 1992.
3- Hanan M. Ali, Ali E. EL Jack, Sadig K. Omara and G. A. Dafalla 1992. Resistance to cucumber mosaic virus (CMV) in some cucurbit species. French- Sudanese symposium on phytopathology. ARC Nov. 21-24, 1992.
4- Sidahmed, N.H. and A. E. El Jack. 1992. Assessment of powdery mildew resistance for some cultivars and wild relatives of tomato
(Lycopersicon sp.).French-Sudanese symposium on phytopathology ARC Nov. 21-24, 1992.
5- ELJack, A. E. and E.I. Mohamed. 1994. Gene banks and the need for a national Sudanese gene bank (Arabic).Seminar on national programs for conservation of plant genetic resources in Sudan. ARC, Wad Medani,22 August 1994.
6- Abdallah,N.K.,Z.T. Dabrowski and A. E. ElJack. 1996. Distribution and control of Halouk, Orobanche parasitic weed in central Sudan. IPM, annual meetig, June 1996, ARC, Wad Medani.
7- Ahmed, E. A and A. E. El Jack 1996. Breeding for zucchini yellow mosaic virus resistance in squash ( Cucurbita pepo L.). Agricultural Research Colloquim (12th) ARC, Wad Medani, 2-4 Dec. 1996.
8- EL Jack, A. E. Hersi, E. A. Ahmed G. A. Dafalla and H. Lot. 1996. Evaluation of garlic ( Allium sativum L.) cultivars for production in the Gezira. Agricultural Research Collooquim (12th) ARC, Wad Medani, 2-4 Dec. 1996.
9- Omara, S., G. Dafalla, Y. Mohmed, A. E. EL Jack and M. Taha 1996. Collection, characterization and utilization of watermelon.
Agricultural Research Colloquim (12th) ARC, Wad Medani, 2-4 Dec. 1996.
10- EL Jack, A. E. 1997. Variety evaluation and seed production of vegetable crops in Sudan. Workshop/ course on varietal evaluation and seed production of vegetable crops in eastern and southern Africa. SADC/AVRDC. Arusha- Tanzania, Sept. 29-Oct.5, 1997.
11- EL Jack, A. E., I. E. Murssal and A. E. EL Nur. 2004. The use of varietal resistance in the Control of crop Pests in the Sudan. Second Conference for Pest management. Univ. of Gezira, 6-9 Dec.2004.
Visits, Courses, Seminars and Workshops Attended:
1- The 80th meeting for American Society for Horticultural Science, McAllen, Texas, October 16-21, 1983.
2- Visit to National Vegetable Research Station, Wellesbourne, UK, April 1984.
3- Visit to Vegetable Research Station, at El Dokki, April 1984.
4- Workshop on qualifying the agricultural extension services in the Sudan for effective agricultural technology transfer. University of Gezira, Dec. 1984.
5- Visit to University of Bath, UK, under the Gezira-Bath Link Program, Feb. 1988. The report of visit proposed establishing a tissue culture laboratory at the University of Gezira.
6- The first national symposium on genentic engineering and biotechnology. ARC, Wad Medani, 17th- 20th Dec. 1988.
7- Visit to Department of Plant Breeding and Biometry, Cornell University, 2nd Nov. to 2nd Dec. 1991.
8- The National workshop on Plant Genetic Resources in Sudan. ARC, Wad Medani, 10-11 Feb. 1992.
9- Workshop on Folk Medicine ( Arabic). U. of G, August 25-27,1992.
10- French-Sudanese Symposium on phytopathology INRA-University of Gezira- ARC Wad Medani Nov. 21-24, 1992.
11- Tour to Eritrea accompanying Batch 8 graduates of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences. 22. Sept. to 10 Oct. 1992.
12- National workshop on: Integrated vegetable crop management in Sudan. ARC, Wad Medani, 5-7 th Dec. 1993.
13- Visit to French National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA), Avignon- France. March, 22 to May 2 nd, 1994.
14- Visit to INRA, Avignon- France Auguast 2 nd to Set. 19 th. 1995.
1. 15- “ “ “ “ July 21 st to Auguast 9 th. 1996.
15- Molecular biology course- Plant Pathology Centre, University of Gezira, Wad Medani, March 22-27, 1997.
16- Visit to INRA, Avignon- France July 9 th to August 7 th, 1997.
17- Workshop / course on varietal evaluation and seed Production of Vegetable crops in eastern an southern Africa. SADC/ AVRDC. Arusha- Tanzania, Sept. 29- Oc. 5, 1997.
18- Visit to INRA, Avignon- France May 15 th to June 16 th 1998.
2. 20- “ “ “ “ August 19 th to Sept. 18 th 1999.
3. 21- “ “ “ “ July 30 th to Sept. 4 th 2000.
4. 22- “ “ “ “ Sept. 18 th to Sept. 27 th 2001.
5. 23- “ “ “ “ Nov. 6 th to Nov. 21 st 2002.
6. 24- “ “ “ “ Nov. 9 th to Nov. 22 nd 2003.
Associations and Committees Membership:
1- Sudan National Committee for Plant Genetic Resources (SNCPGR). (former member) C/O Horticultural Research Section, Agricultural Research Corporation, P.O. Box 126, Wad Medani, Sudan.
2- Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative (Member) 1122 Holzapel Hall, College Park, MD 20742-5611 U.S.A.
3- Tomato Genetics Cooperative (Former member). Department of Plant Breeding and Biometry; Soil, Crop and Atmospheric sciences; and USDA- ARS- NAA- USPSNL, Cornell, University Ithaca, N.Y. 14853- 1901 U.S.A.
4- Sudanese Society for Natural Products (SSNAP). Member, University of Gezira, Wad Medani- Sudan.
5- National variety release committee (member, May, 2009 - to now).
- Abdelmhsin, M.E, A.E. El Jack M.T. Yousif, A.M El Naim. E.A Ahmed and M. Pitrat. 2015. Impact of breeding hermaphroditic melon on early production and yield cause of snake melon (Cucumis melo var flexuosus) and tibish (C melo var tibish) International Journal of life Science and Engineering Vol (C4) 170-176.
- Abdelaziz gesmala. A Siddeeg, M.H. Mekki, lgbal,A,A,Ali.O.A A,E,EL jak and Ammar A. 2016.
- Chemical and sensory properties of Jam and nectar processed from Juara fuitly resister processed from Juara fitly resistant genotypes. Journal of Academia and Industrial Research (JAIR) vis (3)-50-53.
- Gamal E. Khalifa, Ali E.Eljak, Osman M.Elamin and Elsadig S. Mohamed (2016). The performance of nine common learn (Phareolus Vulganxl. ) genotype under there sowing dates in River Nile State Nile Journal for Agricultural Sciences 1.2016.
- Mohammed H. Mekki , Osman M. Elamin , Ali E. ElJack Mohamed E. ElKashif and Hamaraie M. Ahmed. 2017 physic chemical Analysis of Fruits from Selected Guave (Psidium guajava L.) Trees Grown Under the Gezire Codition, Sudan . University of Bakht Alruda Scintific Journal, Issue No 19. IssN 1858-6139, www.joural.uofb.edu.sd
- Mohammed H. Makki, Azahri Siddeeg, Ali E. ElJack and Ali O. Ali. 2017 . Chemical and Sensory characteristics of Jam and Nectair Processed from some Sudanese Guave Genotypess. International Journal of Advaced Research in Bioloical Seinces, volume 4(1) , ISSN: 2348-8069, www.ijarbs.com
- Taha, M. Tamadur, M. Ali Fadil, M. A. gand El Jack A. E. (2011) Vanaleilty and corredation ameng morphologieal Vegetation, frit and yield Parameters of snake melon (cucumis meovar. flexuosus) Gveurlait Genetics Cooperative Report(2010-2011).